Bulgaria Work Permits
In Bulgaria, work permits are issued for foreigners who have specific skills and specialists. Foreigners may work in Bulgaria only after obtaining a work permit, unless otherwise stipulated by the law.
The grounds for obtaining a work permit are signing by the Foreigner of an employment contract with a Bulgarian employer, or sending the Foreigner on a business trip for undertaking certain activities in Bulgaria.
Work permits required for Foreigners must be requested by the local employer and are issued by the Bulgarian Employment Agency. A number of legal terms and conditions must be met for the permit to be issued. Work permits are issued for a maximum duration of 1 year.
If a work permit is granted to a Foreigner on the basis of a signed employment contract with a local employer, generally, such a permit can be extended, if the terms and conditions for its issuance are still valid, but the total duration may not exceed 3 years.
The term of validity of a work permit issued to a Foreigner, who is sent on a business trip, cannot be extended for further one-year periods, unless by exception.
- Foreigners may reside in Bulgaria for short-term periods (90 days from the date of entry), continuous stay (1 year), long-term (with an initial authorized period of 5 years and renewable) and permanently – for an indefinite period.
- Bulgarian employers must report signed labor contracts with Foreigners and European citizens at the National Revenue Agency within 3 days from their signing.
- European citizens, who are sent on a business trip to Bulgaria, are subject to one-off registration at the Bulgarian Employment Agency, which is performed by the local person accepting the seconded employees.
EU Blue Card
You must be a highly-qualified professional within the meaning of the Employment Promotion Act. Meaning that you must be qualified for the exact job you are being hired for, by having a diploma from a university or another institution of higher education, which is valid and accepted in Bulgaria.
The educational course leading to the diploma must be at least three years in duration, and it must be proven that the gross annual salary specified in the contract is at least EUR 10,326 (2019).
Foreigners who do not require a work permit
Foreigners with long-term or permanent residence in Bulgaria do not require a work permit. Further examples include:
- Managers of companies or branches of foreign entities;
- Members of boards of directors of companies who do not work under an employment relationship;
- Commercial representatives of foreign companies.